- Talk to several people, not just one person.
- Actively seek out underrepresented minorities and ask very specific and pointed questions.
- When asking about the program’s racial climate, especially if you’re speaking to the program director, keep in mind: If you are nervous that asking will make people uncomfortable and not want to accept you, consider that if even the director can’t talk about the ways that their program supports racially diverse students, then you may not want to attend anyways.
- What do you like most about your program? What do you like least?
- How would you describe your programs support of racial diversity? (Not “if,” ask “how”)
- How would you describe the racial climate in the program? At the institution? In the city?
- What are the successes/challenges the program has had regarding diversity and inclusion?
- What are the ways that your program works to ensure that every student feels welcomed and included?
- What are the ways your program supports you personally?